Health tea is made with green tea, black tea or oolong tea as the main ingredient and single herb or compound Chinese medicine as the auxiliary ingredient. It is unusually effective in reducing fat and weight as well as lowering blood lipids and cholesterol.
China has a long history of research and application of medicinal tea. Since ancient times, there have been records showing that tea is used to cure diseases. As early as the Western Han Dynasty, tea was used as a medicine. Since the Tang Dynasty, herbal tea has been increasing in China. Sun Simiao, who is regarded as “China’s King of Medicine”, wrote more than 80 medical monographs in his life time. The most famous medical monographs are: Qian Jin Yao Fang (Golden Prescriptions) and Qian Jin Yi Fang (Supplement to Golden Prescriptions). There were more monographs on medicinal tea in the Song Dynasty. And health tea is more common in modern times.
Classified by medicine, health tea can be divided into 8 types: Medicinal Extract, Medicinal Pill, Medicinal Powder, Medicinal Decoction, Medicinal Tea, Medicinal Liquor, Medicinal Dew, and Medicinal Block.
Medicinal Ointment is made from medicine and water or vegetable oil through the process of boiling.
Medicinal Pill is made from grinded medicine and honey, water, liquor and vinegar.
Medicinal Powder is made by mixing grinded dried medicines.
Medicinal Decoction is made from medicine and water and liquor through the processes of boiling and filtration.
Medicinal Tea is made by mixing medicine powder, tea leaves and medicinal adhesive.
Medicinal Liquor is made from liquor and medicine through the processes of boiling and filtration.
Medicinal Dew is made from fresh or volatile medicines and water through the processes of heating and distillation.
Medicinal Block is made by mixing grinded medicines, aleurone, honey and excipient.
1. Honeysuckle: Honeysuckle is cold in nature and has a sweet taste. Health tea is often added with honeysuckle, because it is effective for clearing away heat and toxins.
2. Rose: Rose is used in health tea because it is effective for stimulating and coordinating the human immune and nervous system. Rose oil is rich in vitamin C, carotene, vitamin B and vitamin K. Vitamin K helps promote blood clotting.
3. Yellow Mountain Tribute Chrysanthemum: Chrysanthemum is cold in nature and has a sweet, bitter taste. It is used in health tea because it is effective for expelling wind, clearing away heat, calming the liver, improving acuity of sight, subduing inflammation, and expelling toxins.
4. Black Sesame: Black Sesame is used in health tea because it is effective for reversing greying, promoting healthy hair, beautifying skin, and warming the stomach.
5. Ginkgo Biloba Leaf: Ginkgo Biloba Leaves taste bitter and sweet. It is used in health tea because it is effective for preserving lungs, relieving asthma, activating blood circulation, dissipating blood stasis, and relieving pain.